Ayresome Park was the home of Middlesbrough for 92 years and was one of the stadiums used when England hosted the 1966 World Cup Finals.
The stadium fell victim to the Taylor Report, as its projected capacity was only 20,000 if the club made Ayresome Park an all-seater stadium and they felt this was not enough to satisfy demand from their supporters. The club moved to the Riverside Stadium at the beginning of the 1995/96 season.
The record attendance at Ayresome Park came on 27th December 1949 in a 1-0 win for the hosts. in a Division One league game 53,802 spectators packed into the ground just one day after the reverse fixture at St. James’ Park. By the time of its closure, Ayresome Park’s capacity was 26,667.
On the 30th of April 1995, Middlesbrough defeated Luton Town 2-1, marking not only the last ever game at Ayrseome Park but also securing the league title and promotion to the top division.
What a day!
Ayresome Park was demolished in 1997.