Plough Lane was home to Wimbledon for 86 years.
Wimbledon was historically a non-league and lower league team that achieved remarkable success for a short period of its history and the ground reflected that.
Mainly made up of terracing, the only seated area was in one stand that ran the length of the pitch.
Away supporters were placed on an open terrace at one end of the ground.
The record attendance at Plough Lane was achieved on the 2nd March 1935, when 18,080 spectators attended an FA Amateur Cup tie against HMS Victory.
Although the club are now back at a new incarnation of Plough Lane, the original stadium was their home prior to the fallout of the club becoming MK Dons and eventually relocating to Milton Keynes.
Initially, after leaving Plough Lane, the club had plans to build a new ground and arranged a ground-share agreement with Crystal Palace, an arrangement that astonishingly, lasted for twelve years. The new ground never came about and after initially contemplating a shock move to Dublin, the club eventually settled on relocation to Buckinghamshire.
Although pretty common in American sport, moving to a whole new location was unheard of in English football up to this point and it caused a lot of animosities that remain to this day between the MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon.
The new incarnation of the club, AFC Wimbledon, was created by disgruntled supporters of the club now playing in Milton Keynes. They are now playing in a newly completed version of Plough Lane (opened in 2020) and the fans will feel like they are finally back home, where they belong. The rivalry with MK Dons obviously remains one of the most fierce in the league.
Plough Lane was demolished in 2002.