The Dell was home to Southampton for 103 years.
The East and West stands were almost a mirror-image of each other as double-tiered stands with seating in the upper tier and standing areas below.
The two ends were both open terracing, one of which featured a distinctive low to high rise from left to right – The Milton End.
The Dell was the first club to have permanent floodlighting installed, in 1950.
The record attendance at The Dell was achieved on the 8th Oct 1969, when a Manchester United team containing George Best and Bobby Charlton won 1-3.
The club tried to comply with new safety regulations and seats were installed in the standing areas of both sides of the ground and new stands were erected at the ends. However, with the capacity now cut to a mere 15,000 the decision was made to move the club to a new location.
The move was completed in time for the 2001/02 season and the new era at St. Mary’s was born.
Fittingly, in the final league game at the Dell, club legend Matthew Le Tissier scored the final goal at the ground in a 3-2 win over Arsenal.
There was a subsequent ‘goodbye’ game against Brighton, who had been the very first opponents at the Dell back in 1898.
The Dell was demolished in 2001.